Direct Marketing, Mail Order, and E-commerce News from the National Mail Order Association
Customer Experience Rankings – Online Retailers
In Spring of 2005, Keynote will conduct the second wave of its Customer Experience (CE) Rankings study across the top 20 retail sites to benchmark metrics of overall customer experience and brand perception. Keynote will also reveal the drivers behind brand affinity and customer loyalty. 2000 participants will be divided into 20 samples of 100 users each. Each sample will go to a single leading retail site and be asked to assess the home page and then perform a series of transactional tasks. Keynote will capture specific user feedback and behavior on the most common tasks on retail sites.
Keynote will track users’ behavior as they perform each task, capturing clickstreams, keywords, total page views, page load times and time per task. In addition, users will provide feedback to quantitative and qualitative questions about their experience, uncovering the “why” behind the sites’ performance metrics. Key questions addressed will be:
· Who has the best and worst customer experience, and why? What can be learned from both best and worst performers?
· What aspects of the site drive users to gravitate to one retail site over another?
· What are the key competitive differentiators between online retailers?
· What drives usage, retention and loyalty for retailers?
The sites listed below were chosen from a list of leading retailers that included:
· Top 50 general retailers (based on annual sales and assets)
· Top 50 online retailers (based on annual sales and assets)
· Leading retailers by site traffic
· Leading retailers in the top 5 purchase categories
· Innovative retailers
Sites in the Study: Top 20 Retail Sites
Department Store Retailers
Discount Retailers/General e-tailer
Ø Yahoo! Shopping
Specialty Retailers: Electronics
Ø Circuit City
Specialty Retailers: Apparel
Ø Lands End
Ø LL Bean
Ø Eddie Bauer
Specialty Retailers: Books, music
Ø Barnes and Noble
Specialty Retailers: Office Supplies
Ø Office Depot
Possible replacement sites: Shopping.com
· Total 2000 (100 per site)
· US online adults 18+ from Keynote Research Panel
· Cross-section of the general Web population
Areas of the Sites Evaluated: (TBD)
· Find two products of interest
· Research two products
· Proceed through purchase process
· Browse for a specific product
· Search to find a product
· Use site's customer support
CE Rankings Analysis & Benefits:
The analysis for the CE Rankings measure attitude and behavior trends to identify the key drivers that impact customer experience. Keynote provides a competitive ranking based on quantitative, qualitative, and behavioral data to rank the 20 sites across key performance metrics. Below are some of the analyses Keynote perform:
· Site Effectiveness Measures – These measures estimate how well the site is contributing to the bottom line:
Ø Brand Impact Index – How well does the site promote, or detract from, the overall brand?
Ø Conversion Impact Index – How well does the site drive conversion and retention with respect to its online offerings?
Ø Customer Satisfaction Index – How well does the site provide a satisfying experience?
Ø Overall Customer Experience Ranking – An overall measure, taking into account the three index ratings above.
· Driver Analyses – These analyses provide guidance as to which aspects of the site experience are most important to improve:
Ø Brand Drivers – Which aspects of the experience are most related to brand impact?
Ø Conversion Drivers – Which aspects of the experience are related to intentions to book?
· In-depth Industry Analyses – These analyses highlight trends and changes across the industry, within the competitive context:
Ø Longitudinal Analyses – Compare companies’ results over time
Ø Industry Insights – Understand what users do and think related to the industry; Track performance across Web norms and industry trends
Ø Segmentation – Detailed comparisons between key customer segments (e.g., demographic segments)
· Comparisons Across 20 Leading Retail Sites – These comparisons provide insight into the competitive landscape and inform strategy decisions
Ø Discover strengths and weaknesses of competitors – Identify “Best-practices”
Ø Access complete data sets for each site for further custom analysis
Ø Explore supporting details from actual users – Learn the “why’s” behind the rankings, and the “how’s” to move up
Ø Benchmark over 100 metrics per site:
- Performance metrics - success rates, browse times, page load times
- Consumer expectations, needs, preferences, and satisfaction
- Frustrations and problems encountered
- Quantitative customer experience metrics
- Qualitative comments
- Composite scores
Useful Direct Marketing and Mail Order Links.
Advertising- Bridal Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Christian Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Hispanic/Latino Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Home Furnishing and Decor Advertising Guide
Advertising- Home Gardening Advertising Guide
Advertising- Parenting Market Advertising Guide
Advertising-Pet Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- Woman's Market Advertising Guide
Advertising- How to Create Great Small Business Advertising
Call Centers- Telephone Order Taking Services
Catalogs- Catalog and E-commerce Benchmarks
Catalogs- Directory of Mail Order Catalogs
Catalogs- Directory of Business to Business Catalogs
Catalogs- Top 150 Catalogs in the United States
Classified Advertising- How to Market using Classified Ads
Direct Mail- Copywriters and Creative Services Guide
Direct Mail- Directory of Major Direct Mailers
Direct Mail- Inside Direct Mail Newsletter
Direct Mail- Secrets of Successful Direct Mail
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Seminars and Events
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Statistics
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Response Rates
Direct Marketing- Direct Marketing Toolkit
Fulfillment- Warehouse and Order Fulfillment Centers
Mailing Lists- Direct Mail and E-mail Lists
Product Marketing- Promote your Product to Catalog and Direct Marketing Companies.
Product Marketing- Joe Cossman's Course for Marketing a Product
Product Marketing- How to Market a Product for Under $500
Start a Mail Order Business- Direct Marketing Toolkit
Wholesale and Drop Shipping- Professional Wholesale Resource Guide
Direct Marketing Bookstore
National Mail Order Association Home